Senior Public Relations Coordinator
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Company: Youth Villages
Category: Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations
Published on 2021-10-21 19:13:00
Under the general supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Senior Public Relations Coordinator manages specific key initiatives, primarily focused on state and regional public relations initiatives for the organization in North Carolina and Georgia (with heavy focus on greater Atlanta market). May support other states as needed. The Sr. PR Coordinator manages and supports strategic communications and public relations plans, programs and projects; conducts media relations; creates content to showcase our successes and programs; and provides assistance to the Director of Marketing and Communications to increase awareness of Youth Villages among the public and key stakeholder groups. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
**This position is in North Carolina and will work remotely. The person in this role will be expected to travel regularly to area offices, particularly those in Charlotte, Asheville and Raleigh-Durham.
1. Develops supports and manages the implementation of comprehensive, strategic public relations plans for
Youth Villages locations in NC and GA and its various services, programs and events.
2. Provides local, regional and state media relations to support NC and GA locations/programs and overall
organizational and departmental objectives; works with the news media both proactively and reactively.
Is on call 24/7 for journalists and crisis situations.
3. Will serve as the communications point person for state leadership for NC and GA, attending state operations meetings. Will be familiar with all programs and needs in the area to regularly assist with communications needs.
4. Supports national communications with state-specific needs in areas of digital and internal communications.
5. Guides media relations efforts and content creation (success stories, expert columns, etc.) with input from Director of Marketing and Communications.
6. Monitors the local and national child welfare/juvenile justice/social services environment, news coverage
and issues to stay apprised of situations in/related to NC and GA that might affect Youth Villages; ensures
appropriate responses/pitches are prepared and implemented.
7. Develops content and materials (reports, news releases, media pitches, fact sheets, surveys, talking points,
newsletters, articles, websites, speeches, scripts, presentations, videos) and ensures all materials are kept
up to date and revised as needed.
8. Proofreads and edits written documents (including those mentioned in prior bullet). Follows other proofing
processes for the department.
9. Assists on crisis communications efforts in tandem with Director of Marketing and Communications and
National Communications Strategist.
10. Conducts PR activities accurately, timely, within budget parameters and in a way that
supports operational goals.
11. Works to ensure message consistency, helping with overarching messaging, brand stewardship, content
12. Regularly evaluates the effectiveness of PR plans, strategies and tactics and reports on status of plans
and results of work.
13. Conducts market and primary research to aid in forming strategic plans and in evaluating results of PR
14. Counsels Youth Villages leadership and staff in NC and GA on public relations matters, conducting
media training and coaching staff for news media interviews with Director of Marketing and Communications.
Works closely with other departments (Business Planning and Policy, Government Relations) to communicate
needs related to legislative, programmatic or other key initiatives focused on growth (in tandem with
National Communications Strategist).
15. Interviews people from all YV stakeholder groups and writes stories, copy, speeches, news releases,
etc. for various uses as needed
16. Works with other Communications teams, such as digital communications, to support overall goals.
17. Works closely with other YV departments and outside vendors as necessary to ensure all programs
and projects are successful, accurate and timely.
18. Monitors Youth Villages coverage in the news media, preparing and archiving monthly KPI reports for
NC and GA.
19. Performs additional duties at the request of the directors of the department or officers.
Covid-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 15, 2021, Youth Villages has required the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees, excluding those with an approved medical or religious exemption, as a condition of employment to help ensure the safety of all employees and youth and families served.
Experience growth and development through our continuous training as well as tuition and licensure reimbursement or pursue opportunities to advance both clinically and administratively with Youth Villages
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in public relations (majors in other disciplines of communications and marketing may be considered
with relevant PR experience). Minimum of three to five years of experience in public relations/communications,
with strong media relationships and experience actively working with media in North Carolina. Similar experience
in the greater Atlanta area is a plus but not required.
The job involves moderate travel around North Carolina, Georgia and occasionally to Youth Villages’ national
headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee. Requires flexibility in attending office events or in-person meetings, if needed.
May have to be present in person for media interviews, reporter meetings, prep with families, etc. although
much can be done via virtual mediums, like Microsoft Teams and Zoom.