About Your Workday
- Following recipe cards, prepares food for the menu items ensuring taste, presentation, and temperature of food.
- Maintains a food safety and clean working environment.
- Competent communication with FOH Managers on buffet items and their ingredients,
- Proper Storage, Labeling, and rotation of products (FIFO).
- Assists with dishwashing duties.
- Positive team player who is dependable and punctual.
- Cooks may work full-time or part-time with some opportunities for overtime, depending on schedule needs. Typically working lunch and evening services in eight-hour shifts, many Cooks will be required to work weekends and may not receive two days off in a row if working full-time.
- May be required to inventory food station items on a nightly, weekly, or monthly basis and report inventory to Sous Chef or senior cook.
- All other duties as assigned.
About Your Schedule
Chautauqua Institution and Chautauqua Hotel Company offer flexible schedules, full and part-time, for seasonal employment during summer operations starting annually each June and concluding in August. Seasonal employment may be available earlier (pre-season) and beyond season (post-season) based on business needs and candidate availability. Schedules typically include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as a requirement.
While you will confirm your final schedule with management at the time of an interview and offer of employment, you should generally anticipate the following schedule options for this position:
Typically work an eight-hour shift with a start time that varies between 5am to 5pm.
About Your Compensation
Compensation for this position starts at $14.00/Hour and, with demonstrated experience and qualifications, candidates may earn up to $17.00/Hour.
About Living on the Grounds
Chautauqua Institution may provide limited housing options on our grounds or assist you with locating nearby housing arrangements for select opportunities based on business needs. Housing is not an option for many positions and may be of a cost to you. If the section below is incomplete, candidates should assume that this is no housing associated with this position.
About Chautauqua Institution
Chautauqua Institution is a not-for-profit global convener of dialogue on the most significant issues of the day through engagement across four pillars of the arts, education, religion, and recreation. The Chautauqua community is located on the shores of Chautauqua Lake in southwestern New York State and comes alive each summer with a unique mix of visual and performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship/programs, and recreational activities. Chautauqua Institution owns and operates Chautauqua Hotel Company, a comprehensive hotel, food & beverage, conferencing, and events organization. The Institution’s office in Washington, DC is located strategically for an ongoing role in the cultural conversations of the nation.
Discovering Your Chautauqua Experience
There are countless ways that our talent will engage with our mission, vision, and diverse communities, and you are invited to immerse yourself in our programming as a gateway to this experience. Employees will receive a traditional Chautauqua gate pass, free of cost, which provides access to many of our programs at the Amphitheater. In addition to a traditional gate pass, employees and their families will receive full access to our current and historical programs online at CHQ Assembly.
Commitment to Values of IDEA
Chautauqua Institution values Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) as a priority in our strategic plan, 150 Forward. One of our five core values is “The dignity and contributions of all people.” We are committed to creating conditions in which everyone feels that they can engage as full and valued participants in the Chautauqua experience. The Institution is an equal opportunity employer committed to equitable and inclusive hiring practices and applicants will not be discriminated against based on any status protected under federal, state, or local law. We especially welcome applications from those who can demonstrate past experience, engagement, and professional expertise in IDEA.
Vaccination for COVID-19
Chautauqua Institution has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees, patrons, and our shared community from COVID-19. By applying for employment, candidates acknowledge that they will comply with Chautauqua Institution’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy requiring all employees to provide proof of full vaccination immediately upon hire or be approved for a medical or religious accommodation and before physically starting work.
Joining Our Talent Community
Join our talent community online at CHQ.org/employment. You are encouraged to learn more about Chautauqua Institution at CHQ.org and view the 150 Forward Strategic Plan at 150fwd.CHQ.org.
- Prior culinary experience is not required for this position.
Licenses & Certifications
- Food Handler (ServeSafe)
- Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
- Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks